How to Start a Blog for Less than $3 in 10 Minutes
Raise your hand if you’ve said or thought this before: “I want to start my own blog…someday.”
It’s one of those things people continue to put off — some put it off for the rest of their life.
If you’re reading this it’s because you have a dream. You dream of creating work that matters and getting your ideas to spread. You want to add to the conversation and make an impact.
Starting your own blog creates an opportunity for you to do all of the above. If you don’t already have your own blog, I want you to start one today.
Blogging benefits your life in several ways. If you don’t believe me, listen to what the experts say.
Seth Godin, the author of 18 best-selling books and founder of multiple multi-million dollar businesses, says every one of us should have a blog and write on it daily.
Penelope Trunk, career expert and founder of four different start-ups, says blogging is “essential for a good career,” and “sets you apart as an expert in your field.”
Jeff Goins, an author of 4 best-selling books and owner of a seven-figure writing business, says his life changed when he committed to taking his blog to the next level.
Later, I’m going to tell you how to set up your blog today for $3 and in 10 minutes, but first I wanted to share my own story about the impact blogging has had on my life.
How Starting a Blog Has Transformed my Life
I don’t say this lightly. Committing to writing on my blog has altered the course of my life.
Before I found writing, I was headed nowhere fast.
I couldn’t find any motivation to do, well, anything. Then I found writing. Finally, there was something I could commit to, not because of overwhelming motivation, but because I enjoyed doing it.
I started blogging eighteen months ago and so far it’s lead to the following:
- The publishing of my first book. I wasn’t swimming in money after I published the book, but I crossed a major item off of my bucket list and made a profit.
- Paid writing opportunities.
- A following of people who seem to enjoy reading my work. I write for joy, but knowing I’ve helped even one person makes me happy.
- Contentment. I always felt called to write, but I kept putting it off. Now, I found my “vocation.” I have the peace of knowing what I’m meant to do.
When I started, I wasn’t on this grand mission to become a popular writer, nor did I realize how many opportunities would come my way.
I just wanted to put words on the page and I was sick of waiting and wondering.
Every once and a while you make a decision that creates a shift–a dramatic one–starting my blog was one of those decisions.
It could happen for you too, if you would only give yourself a chance.
Will today be the day you finally start that blog you’ve been thinking about starting for months, years, maybe even decades?
Why You Need Your Own “Home” On The Internet
When I started writing, I didn’t have my own blog. I wrote articles on other websites or on blogging platforms that I didn’t own. Eventually I wised up and create my own space to house my art. If you want to be a writer, a serious one, you need to have your own home — a self-hosted blog with a unique domain name that you own.
Platforms for writing such as Medium, Tumblr, Blogspot, and Typepad are great places to practice and hone your craft, but they don’t offer the freedom and flexibility of a site you’re in complete control of.
Here are some of the challenges you face when you write on a platform you don’t own.
- Lack of creative control – You can’t use plugins that could help your blog on these types of websites. You have minimal control over the design of your blog. Most importantly, many of these sites have rules against you making money with your blog. If you violate their terms of service, they can delete your entire blog.
- They don’t look professional – Let’s say you write an amazing blog post on a website like The Huffington Post. People may try to find your website in order to contact you about an opportunity. If they don’t see a self-hosted website with a premium design they may not take you serious enough to do business with you.
- Lack of control over data – If you keep all of your blog posts on a website like Medium.com you’re putting your work at risk. What if the site shuts down or goes out of business? Your blog posts will go with it. I republish my work across the web, but I always keep the originals at home where they’re safe and sound.
The Good News
You can start your own self-hosted blog for as little as $3 and you can have it up and running in 10 minutes.
Today (August 9th), there’s a special sale which includes website hosting and a free domain name for only $2.95 per month. Bluehost, the company I host my website with, is offering this sale for today only. If you decide to take advantage of it, you could have the blog you’ve been dreaming of ready to go for the price of a happy meal.
You’re here because you want to be a writer, correct?
You want to have a place where people can find and follow your work, right?
You want to create a place that creates opportunities for your writing career, don’t you?
What are you waiting for?
Bluehost makes it dead simple to start your website. You’ll get hosting and a domain name through them. They also walk you through the installation of your website.
I am a partner with Bluehost. This means I receive a commission, at absolutely no extra cost to you, if you decide to buy their services using my link.
I never recommend products I don’t believe in and use myself. They worked together with me to create this deal, and I know it’s in your best interest to get your website up and running today.
If the chance to create a space to help your writing career blossom for three dollars isn’t already appealing enough, I’ll add something more to sweeten the pot.
Anyone who decides to start their website today will receive a free 30-minute strategy session with me. We’ll talk about what you should do to get your blog off to a great start.
I am not an expert by any means, but I’ve made enough mistakes to know someone the ones you will make, and I want to help you avoid them.
If you’re ready to become the person of action you dream of being, sign up with Bluehost today, and send me an email at email@example.com once you’re done to schedule a time for us to meet.
You shouldn’t start a blog because I told you to.
You should start one because you’ve been toying around with the idea of getting your writing career off the ground for far too long.
Today is the perfect opportunity to get started, and the offer does go away by the end of the night tonight.
The choice is yours.
Today there’s a special hosting deal through Bluehost, which allows you to get your website up and running (domain name included) for just $2.95/month.
If you sign up using my link, I’ll give you a free 30-minute strategy session to help get your writing career on the right track.